The Unwritten Rule

The Unwritten Rule
By: Elizabeth Scott

Pub date: March 16th, 2010

Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

summary from goodreads.com

My Rating: 4/5

As always, Elizabeth Scott has produced a novel filled with raw emotion and great characters. One of my favourite aspects about all of Elizabeth's romance themed novels is that I can literally feel exactly what the characters are going through. It's hard to convey in words just how well she gets into the mind and emotions of these characters. It's in the way it's written that makes the reader feel so connected and attached. In a sense, her novels, as I've mentioned before, bring me back to a time when all of the feelings occurring in this book were so new and frustrating in my own life. That's another reason I love YA romance books. Every emotion is always so heightened and intense.

The premise for The Unwritten Rule isn't necessarily new or different but it's the authors take on it that makes all the difference. I don't mind reading novels with a similar premise as long as the author brings something unique and interesting to it which Scott has accomplished for The Unwritten Rule. It's actually really interesting to see what multiple authors do with similar story lines.

There's also more to this novel than just forbidden feelings. Friendship and family is also touched upon a great deal which I enjoyed reading about as well. No one's life revolves around one occurrence and one problem at a time so I thought it was great that Scott added in other realistic elements to this story as well.

Another aspect I really enjoyed were the characters. I always relate and sympathize with the protagonist in Elizabeth's novels and Sarah was no exception. I felt more and more connected to her as her story progressed. Ryan was very sweet and likable which is important. I find that if I can't like the male love interest in a novel than it often falls flat. Brianna, who happened to be Sarah's best friend, was a very interesting character. I've never stumbled upon a friend character like her in a YA novel. When you read the novel you'll know what I'm referring to.

To conclude this review I do very much so recommend The Unwritten Rule. Elizabeth Scott fans will love it and I think new readers will enjoy it as well.
____________
A BIG thank you to Elizabeth Scott for providing the ARC and for 1 ARC Tours for putting everything together! :)

8 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to this book, especially after reading your review. The character development sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed the couple of books that I've read from this author. I like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh great great review! I'm glad to hear that there is other realistic elements. I can't wait to get a hold of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this, I love Elizabeth's books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh...I'll have to add this to my "to read" list. Sounds good! And I like the cover art, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author before, but this sounds wonderful. I will definitely have to pick this up in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book. It's probably my favorite by Elizabeth Scott.

    Good Review!

    -Lexi (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review for a book we all are waiting for! I will run to the bookstore when it comes out. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Get In Touch