The End Of The World As We Know It

The End Of The World As We Know It
By: Lesley Choyce

I hate the world and everything in it. And that includes me...
Asked to write an English class assignment that expresses who he really is, 16-year-old Carson takes pleasure in filling the page with hate for everything in his life. Stuck in a private school for kids who have repeatedly flunked out elsewhere, he knows there's nowhere lower to sink. "Flunk Out Academy" is the last resort for Carson and his classmates in a small town where the deeply troubled students are decidedly unwelcome.

Then Carson meets Christine. She struggles to get by. Living in a trailer by herself, abandoned by her mother and father. Confronted by her deep sadness, Carson starts to care for her- and she for him. Once focused on someone other than himself, he begins to notice the world around him and realizes there is enough beauty to fight against hopelessness, love to battle all hate. Together, Carson and Christine struggle to work out how to live in an imperfect world.

summary from back of book

My Rating: 3.5/5

I picked this book up on a whim at the library. The cover was interesting and I was intrigued by the summary and Carson himself who literally goes through life hating everything and anything.

First off, the writing for this novel is really good. I'd never read anything by Lesley Choyce before but I have to say that he's a really wonderful writer. Aside from the great writing, I really like how the narrator for this book is male. I'm so used to reading through the constant perspective of a female that having Carson as the protagonist/narrator was a nice change.

As far as characters go, I like both Carson and Christine. I didn't feel a huge connection toward them when all was said and done as I have for other fictional characters but I did enjoy reading as they evolved and developed through chapters. I think their development was well represented and drawn out and I think that their small romance definitely added to the story. Christine has problems of her own and I liked seeing her and Carson coming together, helping each other out even when they had no recollection of the help they were offering.

Like I mentioned before, Carson is a unique character and interesting. I'd never read about someone like him who initially, dislikes and disregards everything about life and people but in the end, starts to see the brighter side of things.

All in all, I enjoyed this story, Not one of my favourites, but still, a good read.

4 comments:

  1. I always love reading books from the male POV. Most YA books I get are female, so having a male narrator mixes it up. I might check this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds cool. That's true about there not being enough male narrators...most books are overwhelmingly told through a girl's point of view. (but I can't complain, seeing as how I'm a girl...hah.) Have you read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher? It's really a wonderful book... you talking about Carson and Christine's relationship reminded me of what happens with Clay in Thirteen Reasons Why...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I've read a book from a male perspetive; I hadn't realized, but before I used to do read a lot of book with male main characters.
    I love this "I hate everything" thing too, because sometimes I feel like it too (just sometimes, when I'm a bit depressed^^).

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Get In Touch