Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride
By: Sarah Dessen

It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

summary from book

My Rating: 4.5/5

So I tried coming up with a review that withheld any sort of gushing over Sarah and her previous work only to find that it is impossible. So be forewarned, this post is a little fangirl-ish. =D

I've been a huge fan of Sarah Dessen for a few years now. My obsession began with The Truth About Forever and only gained speed after that. If you have never read any of Sarah's books, I highly recommend that you do. Regardless of which one you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.

This to me, is fiction at its best, especially Young Adult fiction. I've read a bunch of YA and and don't get me wrong, there are handfuls of other amazing novels and super talented authors out there but there's just something about Sarah Dessen's books that really resonate with me-that have made an impact since the very first book many years ago.

I love how Dessen's books always center on life and how they always hold something to be learned. The plots are always realistic, the characters so well developed and relatable that it's insane to realize they are only fictional-a figment of creative imagination. Then there's the fantastic imagery her novel's hold and how everything in the end is summed up perfectly and realistically as well. I know, I'm totally gushing but like I mentioned above, I really can't help myself.

Along for the Ride is a really really great book. It's told in Dessen's familiar and classic story telling form. I was so excited for this novel and it in no way left me disappointed. From start to finish, I genuinely loved everything about it. The characters as usual are fantastic. Auden is a great and relatable protagonist. The supporting characters are great as well. (As they always are. They are 2nd to no one.) Then there's Eli, who is another great male character to add to Dessen's list of fantastic male leads. Female readers will love him, I'm sure.

Also, long time fans, be on the lookout for a few cameos made by past characters as well as a few discrete but familiar mentions of characters from previous stories. They're always something to look forward to.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, five stars. This one will be worth checking out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm not so patiently waiting for my book to come in the mail. I was hoping by some happy accident, B&N would make it come early, but so far, no luck! I'm excited to see who all pops up and how the storyline will unfold. Don't worry about being fangirl like, it's hard to do when it comes to Dessen novels.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great review! I really can't wait for the book. I really love Sarah Dessen. It's hard not to like her. Shes the best YA author. Ahh. I can't wait till 16 June so that I can get my hands on it!! Again, great review, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, can't wait to read this! Thanks for posting this review! I got something for you at my blog! http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2009/06/thanks.html

    ~Briana :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this! I've only read two of Sarah Dessen's books so far but I just got The Truth About Forever and Lock and Key for my birthday! I really liked This Lullaby and That Summer, so I'm sure I'll like the rest of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww yes! I love when the other characters pop up from previous novels... I feel like I get an update whenever that happens! Along for the Ride sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds great! I can't wait to read it. Hmm I really need to go to a book store...

    I have something for you!

    http://tainted-poet.blogspot.com/2009/06/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! I love this book!! I am glad you did too! Great review! It is definitely one of Sarah Dessen's best! She is an amazing author! And I love the past characters cameos! Its awesome.

    -Arielle.

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Get In Touch