Hero Type

Hero Type
By: Barry Lyga

Say you do something really good-like save a girl's life. And everybody thinks you're a hero. But the whole reason you were ever there, at the right place to save her, is totally messed up.

Then let's say you stand up for something you believe in, but everyone else thinks you're wrong. And now they hate you.

How do you know if you're a hero or a zero? How do you know?

summary from book

Rating: 4/5

I picked this book up on a whim at the library largely due to the cover. For some reason, I'm attracted to book covers with feet and converse sneakers. (Weird, I know) The official summary doesn't really give away all that much information but it does make the reader curious. At least, it made me very curious. I wanted to know what Kevin had done and why he was a hero in the first place and then a zero.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book-a lot. I had never heard of it prior to my trip to the library but I am so glad that I borrowed it. Kevin Ross is such a great protagonist. He is honest and has such a humors approach to the way he sees things and explains them. I found him to be very easy to relate to and just awesome in general. I really enjoyed watching him as he went through multiple phases and stages in this novel. Character growth is one of my favourite things and Kevin does a lot of growing in Hero Type.

The supporting characters were quite fascinating as well and very entertaining not to mention original. The whole concept of this novel was really great. It focuses a lot on free speech and expressing your opinion and not backing down because those around you see things another way. Kevin is from a small town where much of what occurs is viewed in a very similar fashion yet Kevin takes a stand and voices his own view point regardless of the backlash. I actually learned a lot from this novel; it is very informative.

Overall: I think Hero Type is a great book definitely worth reading. I don't want to give too much away in this review mostly because one of the best parts for me when reading this novel was the ambiguity. The summary doesn't give too much away and so it makes it much more exciting to read because you're uncertain of what's to come and superior curious as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Get In Touch