Sneak Peek Saturday: My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door
By: Huntley Fitzpatrick

Pub date: June 14th, 2012

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen year old Samantha wishes she was one of them… until the day Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything.

Jase can sense that his beautiful neighbor is missing something in her sterile home, and as the two fall fiercely in love, his family makes her one of their own.

But when the bottom drops out of Sam's world, which perfect family will save her–and will her perfect love survive? 



Excerpt

“Want to walk out to the lighthouse?”

I’m freezing, but I want to go anyway, to go anywhere with Jase, so off we go. The breakwater that leads to the lighthouse is strange, as the rocks are perfectly flat and even until about halfway, then get jagged and off-kilter, so that walking all the way out involves a certain amount of climbing and clinging.

By the time we reach the lighthouse, the evening light has turned from golden to pinkly golden with the sunset. Jase folds his arms on the black pipe metal railing and looks out at the ocean, still studded in the distance with tiny triangles of white, sailboats headed home. It’s all so picturesque that I half expect orchestral chords to swell in the background.

Tracy, my sister, is a pro at these things. She’d do a little stumble and bump up against the boy, looking at him through her lashes. Or she’d shiver and press herself a little closer, as if unconsciously. She’d know exactly what to do to get someone to kiss her just when—and how–she wanted him to.

But I don’t have those skills. So I just stand next to Jase, leaning on the rail, watching the sailboats, feeling the heat of his arm resting next to mine.  After a few minutes, he turns to look at me. That look of his, unhurried, thoughtful, scanning me over slowly. Are his eyes lingering on my face, my lips? I’m not sure. I want them to. Then he says, “Let’s get home. We’ll take the car and go somewhere. Alice owes me.”

As we clamber back over the rocks, I can’t stop wondering what just happened there. I could swear he was looking at me like he wanted to kiss me. What’s stopping him? Maybe he isn’t attracted to me at all. Maybe he just wants to be friends. I’m not sure I can pull off being just friends with someone whose clothes I want to rip off.

Did I actually just think that? Oh God. I did.
____________
I welcome all realistic fiction with open arms. I love this idea about the Garretts being the complete opposite of the Reeds and having the main character be intrigued by that fact. I also like the whole dynamic of the relationship between Jase and Reese, and having them be so completely different. This sounds like it'll be a sweet and fun read for sure! For more on Huntley Fitzpatrick you can visit her official website.

Have a lovely weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Get In Touch