Sneak Peek Saturday: Candor

Candor
By: Pam Bachorz

Pub date: September 22nd, 2009

Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages
to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.
____________


Chapter 1

Ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk.

The sound drifts through my bedroom window. Pokes through my homework haze. It’s not loud, but it’s impossible to ignore. Because it doesn’t belong here.

Ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk.

Candor sounds the same every night. Hissing sprinklers. Screeching swamp frogs. The drone of the mosquito truck, circling every block.

This doesn’t fit.

Ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk.

It’s getting louder now. I roll back my chair and stand up. There’s time for a quick expedition outside. Homework can wait for five minutes. Or more, if this is something interesting.

But one of Dad’s Messages streams into my brain. Academics are the key to success. Makes my knees lock and my feet weigh a hundred pounds. I’m not going anywhere.
____________
You can find the remainder of the excerpt here. Also, feel free to visit Pam's website or blog.

Also, today, Pam posted the official book trailer for Candor on her blog. These are always really cool to watch and usually provide further insight into the novel. Watch and see.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That book looks AMAZINGGG. I gotta get that!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. The premise of this book sounds truly awesome!! I want to read this one for sure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Get In Touch