Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)

Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
By: Sara Shepard

Sutton Mercer watches from the afterlife as her long-lost twin, Emma Paxton, takes over her identity to solve her murder. But after ruling out her early leads, Emma still hasn’t found Sutton’s killer. A lot of people wanted her dead—but one name keeps popping up: Thayer Vega. When the gorgeous and mysterious Thayer returns to town, Emma has to move fast to figure out whether he’s back for revenge…or if he already got it.
 
summary from goodreads.com

My Rating: 3/5

I have indefinitely been enjoying this series to the fullest. It is a compilation of intrigue and mystery and all the other factors that draw a reader in and sustain their attention through and through. I've always enjoyed secrecy in novels and being strung along on a fictitious journey as information is handed to you slowly, but surely. I love the feeling of being suspicious and on edge with the discovery of new information and new character developments. That being said, I felt as if this novel developed rather slowly and in contrast to the other two before it definitely felt more like filler above all else. There were new revelations naturally but much of everything seemed to remain rather stagnant. 

I was excited with the closure of the second installment of this series as it brought upon the introduction of Thayer. With the abrupt ending as it was, I hoped this novel, Two Truths and a Lie would expand further upon Thayer and include much more of him. For some reason- even though he was just briefly introduced prior to-I still found myself wanting to witness more of him mainly because I feel his character could add quite a bit of depth and greater intrigue to the overall story. While Thayer was present in this novel, much of it was the mention of him as opposed to having actual scenes containing his present form. I understand that with a series of novels, the author must draw out and prolong certain aspects that a standalone novel would rapidly speak and expand on yet I still found myself slightly disappointed with the lack of Thayer. I will however say that it seems he will play a larger role in the upcoming novels and so in the mean time I will try to remain as patient as can be.

Thayer aside, the rest of the story moved along at a much slower pace than those prior. As stated above, this third novel in the series seemed much more like filler above all else. Many of the characters did not really grow nor did their relationships with other characters develop onwards. Instead, this novel served more as holding onto past assumptions and developments as well as introducing new doubts and curiosities which I'm sure will be addressed in the novels that are yet to come. Aside from that however there was no large AHA! moments in this book for me.

Overall: If you're reading this series you're going to pick this one up regardless as you should. It did feel stagnant to me but it is still a fun read with much of the same elements that have drawn you in prior as a reader. If you're wondering whether you should read this series at all I will say that it is a quick read that will definitely entertain you above all else. It's not a deep or introspective series by any means but the entertainment and enjoyment value is very high nonetheless. Also, for watchers of the show afraid that the novels may give away answers you are in favour of keeping under wraps, rest assured that the television adaptation and these novels are absolutely nothing alike. The basic premise is the same but aside from that, the people working on the show have definitely let their own ideas run wild, making the show their own interpretation. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Get In Touch