Contemporary Wednesday


I thought I would introduce and incorporate a new meme on my blog that pertains to contemporary fiction seeing as I love and adore it. There has been a real increase in YA catering to paranormal/fantasy/dystopia etc and while I love and appreciate- not to mention read- all forms of literature regardless of genre and sub-genre, I did want to pay homage in a sense to the wonderful contemporary novels that are up and coming as well as pay tribute to some much loved novels of the past. Contemporary fiction is what turned me into an avid reader, especially contemporary YA and still after all these years, it's what I feel the most connected with. Therefore, every Wednesday I will post an upcoming contemporary YA title that I am very much looking forward to. I will also post a contemporary novel that has already been published that I immensely enjoyed and want to share with all of you. :) 

  

The Thing About the Truth
By: Lauren Barnholdt

Pub date: July 10th, 2012

In this humorous love story from the author of Two-Way Street, an unlikely romance is the best sort of surprise—but the wrong secret can ruin everything. Kelsey’s not going to let one mistake ruin her life. Sure, she got kicked out of prep school and all her old friends are shutting her out. But Kelsey’s focused on her future, and she’s determined to get back on track at Concordia High.

Isaac’s been kicked out of more schools than he can count. Since his father’s a state senator, Isaac’s life is under constant scrutiny—but Concordia High’s his last stop before boarding school, so Isaac’s hoping to fly under the radar and try to stay put for a change.

When Kelsey and Isaac meet, it’s anything but love at first sight. She thinks he’s an entitled brat, and he thinks she’s a stuck-up snob. So it surprises them both when they start to fall for each other. Kelsey’s happy for the first time in months, and Isaac’s never felt this way about anyone before...But nothing’s ever completely perfect. Everyone has secrets, and Isaac and Kelsey are no exceptions. These two may have fallen hard, but there’s one thing that can ruin it all: the truth.


summary from goodreads.com

I love contemporary novels with romance. I find contemporary YA for the most part depicts romantic relationships in such a fantastic way. I have read one of Barnholdt's previous novels and really enjoyed it. This one doesn't include the most original of storylines but I'm always much less concerned with originality and more so with personal author interpretation. How the author takes something and makes it their own is always what I think stands out the most and makes a story what it is. I think for the most part writing today is compiled of similar themes and such but how the author makes it theirs, always shines through.

            
The Truth About Forever
By: Sarah Dessen

Pub date: May 11th, 2004

Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death.

But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people.

But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.
  
summary from goodreads.com 


I read this book back when I was sixteen and to this day, it remains one of my absolute favourites. I remember picking it up everytime I was in the bookstore and reading bits and pieces before I gave in and finally purchased it. The Truth About Forever was the first book that really launched me into the world of YA. I'd never come across anything like it prior to and from that point onwards, I was hooked. I know most people have read this book but if you've still yet to do so, I recommend it so very much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Get In Touch